The Yallourn Madrigal Singers
Joining the group has been a rather radical move for me, but a necessary one if I want to participate in live music.
The reasons are:
- Playing in traditional bands is just too loud. This is purely acoustic and mostly A Capella.
- Most bands do just enough work to 'float' a song. No very satisfying. I realise that bands usually have to provide dance music and that really makes arrangements very rigid and one dimensional.
TYMS really work hard on the detail of a song. Tempo changes, volume changes, good diction, etc. Good discipline. Follow the conductor.
- Four sections: Traditional Soprano, Alto, Tenor and Bass.
- With around twenty people in the group we generate a full sound.
- Wide variety of music from the 15th century to current songs.
I don't know most of the material so it's a large learning curve.
I sing in the tenor section, more specifically, second tenor.